Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Segfault on SuSE Linux 6.1

To: jolo@xxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Segfault on SuSE Linux 6.1
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 17:07:11 +1000 (EST)

Armin Herbert <jolo@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> When starting up the civclient I get the following messages:
>
> jolo@Angel:~ > civclient -server localhost
> 1: Using fallback resources - which is OK
> Segmentation fault
> jolo@Angel:~ >

This is almost certainly an Xaw variant problem.

> I leeched the latest version from your server and compiled it myself:
>
> jolo@Angel:~ > civclient --version
> Freeciv version 1.8.0
> jolo@Angel:~ >
>

> ./configure produces the following error that might be the problem:
>
> checking extra paths for Xpm... library no, include no

Thats not an error, that just means it didn't look like Xpm was
hiding in /usr/local where it sometimes is found.

Since you say the server is ok, and above the client runs
with --version, I'm guessing that configure finished ok, and make
compiled the client ok, and you still got the above Segmentation fault.

In that case you likely have a version of Xaw which is not plain Xaw,
but rather Xaw3d or something else.  (Read carefully the INSTALL file
in the freeciv distribution.)  If what you have is Xaw3d, then using

  ./configure --with-xaw3d

will probably fix your problem.  If I guessed wrong, then more
information is required.

Regards,
-- David