Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 1999:
Re: [freeciv-dev] Attn. ruleset maintainer(s)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [freeciv-dev] Attn. ruleset maintainer(s)
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 09:01:26 +1000

Bobby D. Bryant wrote:

> The following is just FYI; I don't think it's actually hurting anything.

Actually I was aware of this problem, but since its not hurting
anything I didn't get around to doing anything about it...
(I hoped no-one would notice ;-)

> In the three .ruleset files, there is a line:
>
>     options="1.7"
>
> which is checked by the load_ruleset_* routines in server/ruleset.c.
>
> Is this value supposed to reflect the version number that started
> providing support for .ruleset files of this format?  If so, you might
> want to change it from "1.7" to "1.8" for the upcoming 1.8.0 release,
> since (IIRC) the files didn't even exist under 1.7.2.

My rationale is that they were introduced as "1.7" (in a
development version before the release of 1.8) and the format
hasn't changed since, so I don't want change the string and
make new/old files/versions gratuitously incompatible.

OTOH as you say 1.8.0 will be the first real release to
include them, so incompatability at this time could be ok.

I believe there is a similar problem that the savefile
includes a "1.7" token, although there it is never actually
used.  (So again its mainly a cosmetic problem.)

Regards,
-- David