Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Superficial analisis of AI research speed.

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Superficial analisis of AI research speed.
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 18:13:59 -0500

Manuel Gutierrez Algaba (irmina@xxxxxx) wrote:

> After a while (10-20
> -30 turns , I can't figure out now )
> science rate fell down to normal (?) 17 % .

I'm not sure what this means.  You can't set your science rate to anything
other than a multiple of 10% -- 10% or 20% but not 17%.  Also, the science
rate doesn't fall by itself -- you manually control it (unless you shift
government to a "lesser" form which can't have such a high science rate).

> - It'd be fine ( or interesting at least ) to control speed of
> research by dividing it by the number of cities.

This doesn't sound like a good idea.  It's not realistic (the Great
University of Foobar doesn't produce as many ideas as it used to
ever since a new village popped up on the other side of the world??);
and it doesn't sound like it would improve the game, since it would
discourage growth.  (Growth is already discouraged by an increase in
unhappiness when you have a certain number of cities, which is extremely
mild compared to what Civ2 does on harder settings.)

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.