Re: [Freeciv-Dev] two new patches

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] two new patches
From: Per Mathisen <permath@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 10:43:36 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, David Pfitzner wrote:
> Shouldn't build_req in the ruleset file be a string with the
> improvement name, rather than a number, to make them easier to
> edit? (Then in ruleset.c probably read the names in first, as for
> units ruleset, so can lookup name->id;  not sure if it would be best
> to have another "table" in the ruleset file (like in units.ruleset),
> to avoid awkwardly long lines.

You know, I think enumerating each line (so that our prospective ruleset
editor will not have to count lines) will suffice.

I know this is still not easy to edit, but take a look at
http://ulven.ifi.ntnu.no/freeciv/improvements.rules, which is where I hope
to get eventually, and I think you will understand why.

> It occured to be that wrapping the freelog calls via
> console_log is not sufficient, since there are freelog
> calls in common/ (which can't be wrapped since the client
> doesn't have console_stuff.

Nasty. I'll take a look at them soon.

>  I still think the way to do this
> is to pass a printf-like (or vprintf, or something) function
> pointer to log_init(), to tell the log module how we want
> log messages which go to the "screen" to be printed.

I am not sure how to do it. I tried, but the compiler laughed
at the puny efforts of my simple C skills.

Yours,
Per