[Freeciv-Dev] C++ and stuff

To: Schaefer Frank R <fschaef@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: stephenh@xxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] C++ and stuff
From: Nicolas Brunel <brunel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 23:00:20 +0000 (GMT)

Here what i found about language choice ( thx Brunus )

        Using a language other than C is like using a non-standard
feature: ... it will cause trouble for users. For example, if you
write your program in C++, people will have to install the C++ compiler
in order to compile your program.  ... And C has one other advantages
over C++ and other compiled languages: more people know C,so more
people will find it easy to read and modify the program if it is written
in C.
        Richard Stallman    GNU coding standard

> Ok, Let's  say I  invent a little  language.  Let's say  'CivLisp' for
> scripting.  I write an  interface to  link with  your C  package, it's
> therefore seperate. Will it be accepted ?

It must be specific to freeciv. Otherwise guile exists.

> Nevertheless, the cityplans will be programmed  in C,  'cause they are
> too strongly included into the code.
So C !

Regards,