Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] --help and --version

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] --help and --version
From: Per Mathisen <permath@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 13:05:47 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Lalo Martins wrote:
> C'mon, do we need athena to handle --help and --version? This
> involves a lot of unnecessary initialization, like connecting to
> the X server, just to exit(). Handling them in main() makes the
> code less uniform, but more efficient (I like to be able to
> "civclient --help" when I'm not in X, for example).
>
> In case anyone agrees, patch follows.

I wrote a patch that did all of the --options some time ago. Don't know
where it ended up, though. Probably gone forever. My reason for doing this
was that the different GUI layers would not need their own
(duplicate) implementations of options handling.

Well, what I am trying to say is... I agree :)

Yours,
Per