Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] server options overhaul

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] server options overhaul
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 12:16:41 +1100

Once upon a time I intended to improve some things about the
server options, which I've finally got around to.  In the
attached patch:

- Classifed the options, and re-orderd them according to class.
- Used classes to generalize the old "afterstart" data.
- Split the help strings into short and long versions, and re-wrote
many of them.
- Print both help strings for individual "explain <option>".
- Included short help strings in the output of "show".
- In the client, split the "server options" menu item into two new items,
to each show (roughly) half of the options ("initial" options, vs "ongoing"
options).  (The old single listing was getting too long, especially if we
want to add more options in the future.)  The old menu item remains,
for compatibility with old servers, and the new server still serves
the old menu item request, for compatibility with old clients.
- Changed server printfs about "variables" to say "options".
- In handle_report_request() in civserver.c, send a message to the client
output window if the client asks for an unknown report, so mismatched
servers and clients work together better in the future if additional
new report types are added.  (Previously the server silently ignored
unknown report types.)

(Generally, when I post this sort of patch here, its notice
of intent to commit to CVS unless problems come to light.
So you should test/comment/complain now, or it'll go into CVS
and you can test/comment/complain then...)

-- David