Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv 1.7.2 released!

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv 1.7.2 released!
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 12:11:35 +1100

Mitch Davis wrote:

> I've released Freeciv 1.7.2 at long last!

<cheers!>

With impeccable timing, I've just found a bug in the combat
calculations.  :-7

Remember the effect that if you attack with a unit with less
than one movement point left, the attack is at 1/3 or 2/3
strength, for which it was suggested there be a popup, because
new players and even experienced players don't know about the
rule?

It turns out that the implementation of this rule is buggy:
the attacker's movement is reduced by 1 (for the combat "move")
_before_ the modified attack strength gets calculated, with
the consequence that units with 4/3 or 5/3 movement left get
the 1/3 or 2/3 attack modifier, and _not_ units with 1/3 or
2/3 move left.

-- David