Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] diplomacy and other negative stuff (?)

To: Mirar <mirar@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] diplomacy and other negative stuff (?)
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 21:43:34 +1100

Mirar wrote:

> o When changing science to develop ("tech"?),
>   no penalty was given. For two of four players.
>   The other two always had a penalty. We've discussed
>   this post-game, so we couldn't try and test anything
>   then.

> ---------- server/plrhand.c:773: (rev 1.42)
>
>   if (!plr->got_tech && plr->research.researched > 0)
>     plr->research.researched -= ((plr->research.researched *
> game.techpenalty) / 100);     /* subtract a penalty because we changed
> subject */

This means that if you completed a tech this turn, then you can change
the next tech being researched without penalty.  But on subsequent turns
you get the penalty.  So that may have been the difference between
players' experiences.  (I think this is intended behaviour, but it probably
should be made clearer somehow and/or documented.)

-- David