Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Breaking up tilesets.

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Sverker Wiberg <sverkerw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Breaking up tilesets.
From: Sverker Wiberg <sverkerw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 15:20:34 +0100

John Goerzen wrote:
> [ Note: CCing the new list ]
>
> Sverker Wiberg <sverkerw@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > A converter between tilesets and individual XPMs should be quite
> > useful...
>
> YES! YES! YES!
>
> I've been struggling to figure out how to make a Java-based CivClient
> understand the tilesets.  In Java, generally we need GIFs for this,
> but it's trivial to write a script to convert XPM to GIF.  Would love
> to see a utility to convert the large tilesets to individual tiles!

And back again (I understand that some people prefer to edit all tiles
in one huge image).

I exploded the tileset image with three temporary lines in the client
while it built its internal sprites. The real converter I'll probably
write in Perl (or Python, or Intercal ;-).

> > In the end I aim at something like Civ2's .ini-file, which lets a
> > scenario author tune the units's properties to his heart's content.
>
> I think you can already replace the xpm files at runtime, no?

Only through the FREECIV_DATADIR mechanism. And then you replace
the whole gorilla.

/Sverker