Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1998:
[Freeciv-Dev] very massive patch set [LONG]

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] very massive patch set [LONG]
From: Massimo Campostrini <campo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 26 Oct 1998 11:27:04 +0100

Long time ago (Well, just Sept. 14), I posted to the list:

> It looks like I can find time to hack freeciv. ;-)
>
> I'm thinking of implementing race customization which was discussed on
> the list a couple of months ago.
>
> Race information (ruler & city names) will be loaded from a text file
> with a new server command.
>
> I've a couple of new races (Japanese and Spanish) more or less ready.

[snip]

> And finally fix "King Elizabeth".

Well, in reality I didn't have that much time to hack freeciv, and
this program proved to be too much for me.  So I fell back to an
"easy" way to include new races in the code.  And I implemented the
Japanese and the Spanish.  And finally got "Queen Elizabeth" (and
Ms. and Emperess).

I think that my code allows up to 32 races on machines with (at least)
32 bit ints, and some simple tweaks to the code will allow this on
machines with 16 bit ints.

Another thing I added is the selection of solid colors at startup:
human players choose their colors, then the AI pick the
lowest-numbered remaining colors.

I was unhappy with cities named "city nn", so I took a long list of
small town from the GPL'd game xconq, and when freeciv runs out of
default city names it picks at random from this list (a common pool
for all the races).  The result is very nice IMHO.

There is a slight asymmetry with the new races: the flags are not cut
from the big tileset, but are loaded from standalone xpm files.  I
think that this is very important to add new races easily; the way to
resolve the asymmetry is to move all the flags to individual files
IMHO.

The result is a tangle of patches (against Oct-23 CVS).  I know it
won't be easy to merge all of this in, but I think it makes quite a
difference.  More new races can now be added without too much hassle.
Once this gets merged in, I'll write a "how to add new races"
document.

Note to Trent (or whoever is in charge of the code): please get in
touch with me if there are problems.

Regards,
        Massimo Campostrini