Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: March 2003:
[freeciv-data] german ruleset new version

To: rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Freeciv Data ML <freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-data] german ruleset new version
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 22:31:53 +0100

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 01:53:17PM -0800, Jason Short wrote:

> [ChrisK@xxxxxxxx - Fri Feb 28 18:29:10 2003]:
>
> Current charset problems only say you have to use latin1 in the rulesets
> for leader and city names (all others should be ascii english).

Good to hear.

[city labels]

> > This is new to me. I see no reason for not use the geographical facts.
> >

> Well, there's really no answer to give.  The creator of the natural city
> names concept (and original patch author) intended that they be used
> linguistically; i.e., by assigning them to city names that they "match".
>  But this should be up to the community to decide, and so far most
> nation authors (who are the people that matter) have done it
> geographically instead.
>
> Note that the original natural city names patch was very limited, so it
> was usually a bad idea to label too many city names.  This is no longer
> the case.
>
> Personally, I'm in favor of doing it geographically.

So I put my labels I've created some time ago, in a new ruleset version.

- more leader names, names corrected, and surnames added
- two more ruler titles
- lots of city labels added, based on geography, not name
- minimal corrections on city names

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/