Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: January 2003:
[freeciv-data] Re: Hexagonal tileset.

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: Hexagonal tileset.
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 14:19:50 -0600

On 2003.01.11 13:26:18 -0600 Bobby D. Bryant wrote:

[re using Andreas' hexmap tileset]

> Strictly speaking the horizontal move should be illegal.  Maybe you
> can get the developers to support a hex mode where the horizontal
> move is disabled?

Now that I've played a few minutes I see a couple of other things that
would need to be hacked in the game engine if they wanted to support
hexmaps as a first-class game option.

  o In additon to outlawing the horizontal moves (or vertical, for the
other hex orientation), those two hexes need to be considered "not
adjacent to the unit" for other game purposes as well, such as
visibility.

  o For the cities the natural implementation would be to allow
cultivation in two concentric rings of hexes.  That gives 6+12=18 hexes
vs. the 20 you can cultivate now, which would change the game dynamics
a bit but probably not excessively. (In the city map you should cut off
the two leftmost and rightmost cells, which are actually three steps
away if you disallow the "cheat" moves, but you should add in one cell
straight above and below the city.)

Hopefully now that you've shown that the display is pretty
straightforward the developers will establish a third display mode and
start incrementally refining the engine's behavior for it.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas