Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: October 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: New techs in history ruleset

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: New techs in history ruleset
From: Ammon Lauritzen <ammon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 17:38:48 -0700

Christian Knoke wrote:

>On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 02:37:53PM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>can somebody - maybe the creator - please explain in simple words,
>>what the new techs "milling" and "riflery" stand for?
>>
>>I want to know before I translate it.
>>
>>I'm also curious about the motivation of these; the history ruleset
>>seems to me not finished work.
>>
>>Christian
>>

>Anyone who can explain "riflery" and "milling"?
>
>Christian

Well, I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but rifling is
the process of boring the inside of a gun's barrel into a screw pattern
so the bullet spins as it is fired, thus going straighter. To me, the
word riflery simply sounds like the skill of being able to fire a rifle
(as in archery).

Milling as pertains to agriculture would be the process of turning grain
into flour. Milling as regards industry would be the process of either
grinding, polishing, or stamping metal.

Ammon