Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: September 2000:
[freeciv-data] Re: Fractal terrain

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: Fractal terrain
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 20:08:31 +0200

Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Has anybody on this list experience in generating fractal landscapes
> and could give me some hints for programms (U*ix)? I am considering
> using this for generating tiles.

I have bee wondering the same thing for a while. I have seen that Freeciv's
current map generator claims to use fractal algorithms (
http://www.freeciv.org/lxr/source/server/mapgen.c?v=cvs#L793).

I searched the web and found a page that might be interesting. A quote from the
page: "This first image is fractally generated terrain". Maybe you should ask
the author of that stuff:

  <http://www.oroboro.com/rafael/project/terrain.html>

Here is a page with a GPL'd "Fractal Worldmap Generator":

  <http://www.lysator.liu.se/~johol/fwmg/fwmg.html>

(by a coincidence, this page is hosted by the computer club at my university)

This is another page that might be of interest:

  <http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Keep/3402/Civ.htm>

> Cheers,
>         Gerhard

Erik Sigra