Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: August 2000:
[freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Primary & Secondary sets of nations

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Primary & Secondary sets of nations
From: Dmitriy Genzel <udgenzel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 20:18:42 -0400 (EDT)

> > Here's a suggestion on rigid criteria. We include a
> > nation in the first set, only if
> > 1) It is in existense today in the form of a national state
> > or
> > 2) It has been an ancient civilization that has no clear successor (e.g.
> > Franks & French) of sufficient importance
>
> So are the romans in the first or second set?

In the second. Italians are not really successors of Romans.

> Maybe a "offensiveness / controversiality" criteria is needed as well?

Not really. No nation that has a state that I know of that exists today or
that died out a thousand years ago is all that controversial. It might
have been through some period of its history, like Mongols at the time of
Genghis, or Germans at the time of Hitler, or perhaps Iraqis at the time
of Saddam & Serbs at the time of Milosevic - which happens to be now, but
that's just the particular governments, not ethnical groups.

Dmitriy