Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: September 2003:
[freeciv-ai] (PR#4744) More pathfinding

To: chrisk@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] (PR#4744) More pathfinding
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 05:56:34 -0700

Sorry about not replying to it straight away.

[chrisk@xxxxxxxxx - Sat Aug  2 16:52:24 2003]:

> CVS 02 JUL 2003 GTK 1
>
> Load savegame, turn done, attack Malindi with cruiser from Nairobi, send
> transport with charriot to that island's west coast, use GOTO to send
> chariot into Nairobi.
>
> Goto wants to surround the city, using the road, rather than go direct.
> The direct way has a 50% chance to conquer Nairobi this turn, the
chosen way
> definetely takes 2 turns, but leaves the chariot with 2/3 MP after that.
>
> Is this an unfixed bug, or is this me have been talking you into
> overoptimize this thing?

There is no bug.  PF is unable(*) to cater for all possible tastes /
scenarios in the presence of randomness in moves.  End of story.

(*) And will never be able, in polynomial time.

This is a very good reason IMO to adopt non-random moves.  I have been
playing Civ3 lately, this is one of the things they definitely got right.