Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: August 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: How to beat AI

To: Freeciv AI List <freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: How to beat AI
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 07:38:54 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Jordi Negrevernis i Font wrote:
>   This is the final version of that document. I hope it!
>
>   Any comments?

Just a few nitpicks. Fix them if you like, and send the document to
webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx, and ask that it be added to the Tutorials page.

> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; We also advise new players to read the <a
>  href="http://www.freeciv.org/manual/";>manual on the server</a>. </p>

Also the Art of Freeciv is very good.

> <h4>0.1 How do I set up the server?</h4>
> two terminals and type in one terminal 'civserver' or 'ser' (if you're
> in the source directory), then in the other terminal type 'civclient'
> or 'civ' and connect to the server.

You should perhaps say that this explanation only applies to Unix. Windows
builds have a different way about it.

> new cities to build more settlers. You can use work lists to build a

I think we use 'worklist' in one word elsewhere.

> . Probably, the best specials for fast growth are Wales and

Whales.

> civilisations to establish trade routes. To do this, you must build
> roads between cities with Settlers.

or Engineers.

> so its trade will always be least than your.

less than yours.

> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Later in the game, building city walls in coastal
> cities can be doubly useful in resisting sea attacks. When someone
> researches Ironclads, Destroyers or Cruisers, build coastal defenses to
> protect them from sea attacks.<br>

First sentence not correct. City walls give no protection against attacks
from sea.

> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In fact, you can check which unit type is best to
> build in the work list Tab of the City Window.

Perhaps also add: In 1.15.0 you can also see your win chance against
another unit by right-clinking that unit while having your own unit
active.

> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Another trick is that the AI does not use it's units
> in a planned two or more turn counter-attack, per se. If there are
> Knights or Alpine Troops in a city, they will not attack an Armor unit
> that is 2 tiles away. If you want to attack a city, place your fast
> units 2 tiles away and the AI will not attack you!! This also works for
> Diplomat units.<br>

This does not always work. The AI can attack more than 2 tiles away using
fstk, but fstk only activates when units are not doing defensive duties...
also fstk erronously does not target diplomats, since they have only zero
attack power... This is likely to be fixed for 1.15.0, though.

> unhappiness is that you won't have to build as many Coliseums or

I'm pretty sure that building is spelled wrong.

> <h3>7. Diplomats &amp; Spies</h3>
> the AI has no diplomacy - Freeciv 1.15.0 maybe has it -. <br>

1.15.0 definitely will have it.

> cities. The next version will be able to send you diplomat to do some
> hostile action against you.<br>

send diplomats against you

> technological discover

dicovery

> that Wonder in a production city. That way, you can build huge armies
> from that city under Republic or Democracy to crash your enemies.<br>

crush

Also, you might add that the AI can blast off to space, so if you are
really really slow about attacking it, you might lose without it ever
coming to blows. Might also add that it is possible to turn space race off
in server, if this outcome is not desired.

Maybe also add a warning about the AI's "double-move". This happens when
AI is landing a unit from a sea transport on end of turn, and then moving
it in beginning of next turn, all without the human player having a chance
of intervening. It can be pretty frightening, frustrating and unexpected.
Probably gone in 1.15.0.

Overall: Very good.

  - Per

"This is the future for the world we're in at the moment,"
promised Lawrence Di Rita, special assistant to Rumsfeld.
"We'll get better as we do it more often."