Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: July 2003:
[freeciv-ai] AI Diplomacy 10 - AI attacks me because I haven't met his a

To: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] AI Diplomacy 10 - AI attacks me because I haven't met his allies
From: "david M stewart" <david_stewart@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:19:17 -0400

Firstly, thank you for implementing AI diplomacy, Per.

While testing the patch, one of the AIs declared war on me the turn after
making contact, claiming I had attacked his allies. I wasn't at war with anyone
at the time.

I believe I've tracked down the cause.
The message the AI sent me is in advdiplomacy.c:

  /*** Declare war - against enemies of allies ***/

  players_iterate(aplayer) {
    struct ai_dip_intel *adip = &ai->diplomacy.player_intel[aplayer->player_no];

    if (aplayer->is_alive
        && adip->at_war_with_ally
        && !adip->is_allied_with_ally
        && !pplayers_at_war(pplayer, aplayer)) {
      notify(aplayer, _(TALK(%s) "Your aggression against my allies was your "
             "last mistake!"), pplayer->name);
      ai_go_to_war(pplayer, ai, aplayer);
    }
  } players_iterate_end;

So the AIs at_war_with_ally flag for me must have been set even though I wasn't
at war with anyone.
at_war_with_ally is set in ai_data_turn_init() in aidata.c.
It depends on the result of pplayers_at_war()

    players_iterate(check_pl) {
[snip]
      if (pplayers_allied(pplayer, check_pl)
          && pplayers_at_war(aplayer, check_pl)) {
        ai->diplomacy.player_intel[i].at_war_with_ally = check_pl;
      }
[snip]
    } players_iterate_end;

But the pplayers_at_war function in player.c returns true
for players who haven't met:

/***************************************************************
  Returns true iff players can attack each other.
***************************************************************/
bool pplayers_at_war(const struct player *pplayer,
                     const struct player *pplayer2)
{
  enum diplstate_type ds = pplayer_get_diplstate(pplayer, pplayer2)->type;
  if (pplayer == pplayer2) {
    return FALSE;
  }
  if (is_barbarian(pplayer) || is_barbarian(pplayer2)) {
    return TRUE;
  }
  return ds == DS_WAR || ds == DS_NO_CONTACT;
}

So having no contact with an AI's ally is considered grounds for war.

David