Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: June 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: Hi, I'm back. aiclient

To: Raimar Falke <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: Hi, I'm back. aiclient
From: Manuel Gutierrez Algaba <stemanolo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 00:39:19 +0200

El Lun 30 Jun 2003 21:38, escribió:

> > Well, expert systems are coded in Clips or Jess or Prolog not in C.
> > Perhaps you could browse the web a bit.
>
> A related question is: in what languages are commercial computer game
> AIs coded?

Well, Clips is coded in C, and Jess is coded in Java, you can always have a
commercial game, coded in C, but that internally implements a
inference-engine. I don't know,  google would tell, anyway I've heard that
they've even used neural networks for ai intelligence. Now that I remember
about it, Simcity was "heavily" based in a kind of expert system, I think.

> tar files in tar files in tar files. uhhh. And at least one of tar
> files is named ".tex".

Well, I have a project pybackup:
algaba.sdf-eu.org/pybackup.php
that makes recursive tar files, in fact, it is a safer way of storing info.
And yes, that .tex-tar file is probably rubbish.

> > But it's in Spanish and it's a lot of code, 10000+ lines of code,
> > anyway have fun. There's doc in .ps format.
>
> If there is an english doc in PS please mail it to me.

No, there isn't.

> > I just want the interface and go little by little. Don't be so fast.
>
> Some people also have thought about the problem a lot and want to
> share now some ideas.

There's no easy way to do AI, and the ideas are many, that requires that the
process is as abstract and structured as possible. Part of my project was to
feed each of the engines with "fake" data so that the debugging was much
faster. Having a socket-fed aiclient gives the possibility of creating
series of orders:
move settler 10,30;
fight falanx 7,6;
so the ai can be debug without the need of running the entire program.
And thus , AI development is sped up.
And any discussion in this list can be supported by adding  some instructions
into the file to be fed in the aiclient and seeing its output. As easy as
writing the aditional rules , writing the sequence of events and seeing what
aiclient produces out of it.

Another lesson I learnt in  Clips is that you have to keep the interrelation
of variables low, so you have isolated modules as much as possible.

Anyway, I think everything boils down to getting an interface aiclient <->
civclient. That'd be the start of it all. Perhaps there're volunteers out
there to do it. A warclient is an excellent way of scaling up. With many
people writing their warclients, it's just a matter of time of getting a real
AI working. When people learnt to play faster and easily.

If nobody is going to get that interface done, AI will keep its current pace
of improvement for several years...

---
mga