Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: March 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Using observer/dead players

To: <freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Using observer/dead players
From: "Phil Houk" <p-houk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 14:07:27 -0600

I am having some difficulty using a dead player to observe a game. The
patch applied okay and I am able to create an observer, but the only way
I can cycle through the AI's turns is by disconnecting my observer and
then reconnecting. The server doesn't seem to respond to clicking the
turn done button. Maybe there is a setting that I am missing?

For background, I have tried to use an observer in both release versions
1.13 and 1.14. I am running freeciv on Cygwin in an x-server. When I
attempt to observe, I use the following procedure. I create two ai's in
the server and start the game. Then I create a dead player on the
server. Then I open the client using the dead player's name. This gets
me to the point where I can see everything on the map, but can't do
anything (because I am dead). Like I said above, the ai's will take one
turn each time I disconnect and then reconnect, but the game freezes
until I do this. Is this the way an observer currently works or am I
missing something?

I am sorry to bother everyone on the newsgroup about this, but I didn't
find any relevant information with google searches or searches of the
archived postings. Thanks in advance for the help.

Phil