Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: November 2002:
[freeciv-ai] massive ai5

To: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] massive ai5
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 18:05:35 +0000 (GMT)

I've spent a lot of time now cutting this beast down in size. I've removed
some stuff that I wasn't altogether happy with and committed some parts of
it that could stand on their own feet. The flying AI part is already
committed. Version 4 was 185k in size, this one is in total about 100k.

The rest I want to commit as a whole. It gets increasingly hard to
disentangle stuff and hours required to do so per patch goes up.

So Greg, can you look at it all and give thumbs up? :-)

The important things to ok are:
  - The coupling of roles and goto data.
  - The ai_unit_goto() and ai_unit_gothere() API.
  - The use of (-1, -1) as invalid goto destination.

...since these important API changes.

  - Per

Changes from previous version denoted by +, old changes by -

This is a diff of my AI development tree. It contains the following:
 - A final cleanup of the bodyguard code, by myself
 - Active AI diplomats, by myself and Gregory Berkolaiko
   <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
 - AI hitpoints recovery patch, by Jordi Negrevernis i Font
   <jorneg@xxxxxxxxxxx>

It also contains a number of other cleanups throughout the code:
 - Don't bribe units that aren't a threat unless we have lots
   and lots gold, and even then don't bribe settlers
 - Removed inconsistent pcity->ai.ai_role which wasn't even used
 - Started rewriting the activity goto handling, hiding it
   behind sane wrappers. The problem with that is that some of the
   use of this code isn't sane... Changes restricted to aitools.
 + Wrapped the use of goto. Now goto destination should be set only
   when you set a role for a unit, and you know that a unit has a
   valid goto by looking at its role. The latter is not completed
   entirely since it requires more changes to code I want to dump.
   These changes are a lead up to my rewriting of the ferry code.
 - ACTIVITY_GOTO will be removed, do not use. Instead, check for
   valid_goto(punit)
 + A unit should *never* have a valid goto unless it is on its
   way somewhere by goto AND it has a role which requires it.
   Such roles will always have valid gotos. Do not use the
   valid_goto() hack.
 - Never call do_unit_goto() directly; this function will be
   rewritten later when we have new path finding
 - ai_unit_goto(punit, x, y) will *preserve* previous goto
   coordinates; use this only for one-turn-horizon gotos
   (only air units and diplomats use different gotos ATM)
 - Use ai_unit_gothere(punit) for long-distance gotos; this
   will be used for ferrying, and eventually should replace
   both ai_military_gothere() and the settler gothere.
   Always set destination with ai_unit_new_role() first!
 - Note that you can use ai_unit_goto() while on a ai_unit_gothere()
   mission, and the gothere() destination will be preserved.
 + Savegames now has new_goto_x|y for the new (-1, -1)-is-invalid-
   coordinate goto, keeping such coordinates out of the old goto
   field, enabling older servers to load our savegames.
 + Better target checking by settlers so that we avoid flip-flopping