Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: June 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: Opinions on some AI issues

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: Opinions on some AI issues
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:23:07 +0200

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 01:05:20PM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > Bodyguarding is a great idea.  CivIII got it (I think they stole
> > quite a few features from FreeCiv, actually).  But to see a rifleman
> > guarded by a mech.inf. is hilarious!  It happens because rifleman
> > had 5A > 5D which qualifies him as an attacking unit.  And 6A/6D
> > mech.inf. is a defender!  How do we distinguish an attacking unit
> > from a defending one?  We can write complicated functions or we can
> > use more role tips in the rulesets.

Thinking more about this: the question is against what enemy units you
want to defend yourself? An easy answer could be: one of the best
(attacking) unit. You get this info from game.global_advances. Than
you assign as much bodyguards to this unit (the number of bodyguards
may also be 0 if the unit is a good defender) to win the fight in
every case or with some probability. Because of the stack handling
only one bodyguard is useful at the moment. But the code can/should
also be able to cope with different settings.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  The trick is to keep breathing.