Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: May 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC] Path finding interface #9

To: <freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC] Path finding interface #9
From: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 19:52:37 +0200 (MEST)

On Sat, 25 May 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> The longer I think about this topic the more I think that I dislike
> triemes. It looks like we either have to omit triemes or have to
> penalize the general case.

Looking at Greg's illustration of the trireme problem, it strikes me that
this problem is should also be solved for the general case.

Substitute risk-of-sinking-tiles with tiles-with-low-defense-bonus, and it
makes a lot of sense to make a path finding function that tries to find a
path across a map where you always end up in a tile with high terrain
defense bonus. Then units can use this function whenever they move through
a dangerous area.

This is particularily important should we add something like gen. impr. to
units, where units can get their own terrain modifier. Then ending the
move on the right sort of tile can be of the most vital importance.

Yours,
Per

"It is difficult to catch a black cat in a
dark room. Especially if there is no cat
there." - Confucius