Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2005:
[aclug-L] Re: Problems

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Problems
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 14:05:09 -0500

I still haven't figured out just what was compromised. For the short =
term,
the web server has been shut down.  I'm thinking about going back to =
static
content on most of my sites since the dynamic part has seldom be =
utilized.
=20
> Have you been through the web server logs? Sometimes if you can find
> accesses just before or right at the time the exploit began, you can
> get an idea of what script or whatever was used in an undesireable
> way. Look at the error logs too, as whatever was done could have
> generated an error. Of course, if the server logs got modifed in the
> process, this may not help, but if they really didn't get root access,
> you might be lucky.

The logs all appear to be intact, but they haven't been of much help =
yet.

> You should also try to look through the files that make up your web
> site(s) and see if there are any files that should not be there. This
> kind of thing is commonly done by getting a script to write some
> arbitrary data (like code) to a file, and then getting that or another
> script to somehow execute that code.

I haven't found anything in the web area, but upon further inspection I
found I had a root kit installed.  It took me several hours to eradicate =
it,
but I think everything is back to normal. Whoever did this was sloppy, =
and
left some obvious clues like wrong ownership of system files, and the
immutable bit set. A little snooping using lsattr found most of the =
changed
files and the source directory where they had installed from. I mounted =
the
HD on a known clean machine and restored from there. I then used several
root kit detectors to verify that everything was clean. While a fresh
install would be preferable, it's not practical at this time. Instead, =
I've
changed all the passwords and will do a nightly scan for possible =
exploits.

--Dale