Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2004:
[aclug-L] Re: Goerzen in Linux Journal

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Goerzen in Linux Journal
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:55:43 -0600

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 03:24:26PM -0600, bbales wrote:
> On Thursday 09 December 2004 19:40, Steven Saner wrote:
> I always knew John would be famous someday.  And I thought I did good just
> getting my letter in the October Linux Magazine.

Thank you for the kind words, Bruce.

> I bought a new laptop this week and it doesn't have a serial port for my GPS.
>
> Has anyone of you any suggestions for a pcmcia to serial or a usb to serial
> adapter?  Can't seem to make much sense of what I see on the web.

PCMCIA to serial adapters were once fairly popular, but are less so now.
You may be able to pick some up cheap on ebay.

USB to serial adapters exist too -- the Keyspan ones seem to be
well-supported in Linux.  Here's one:

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/USA19HS/

Its MSRP is $40 but I bet you could find it for less than that.

As always, double-check kernel compatibility before buying.

-- John