Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 2004:
[aclug-L] Re: Determining memory usage by a user

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Determining memory usage by a user
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 13:35:17 -0500

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 01:26:55PM -0500, Jonathan Hall wrote:
> Once I tally (size)-(share) for all processes owned by User-X, then how do I
> re-add the shared values only once per instance?

By instance do you mean "user"?  Or "item of shared memory"?

Neither one is possible, unfortunately, and you'd still have the
question of where to "charge" it.

If you try to figure in shared memory for users, you have the question
of what to do with memory that's shared across multiple users.  In fact,
on many systems, you may even find that the majority of shared memory
fits that bill.

There's no set owner of shared memory either; it exists until 0
processes use it.

I don't believe that the OS exposes enough information to get at data
about a given item of shared memory.

> Incidentally, /proc is where (at least certian implimentations of) proc/top
> get their information, according to the reading I've done.

Yes, it is the sole information source for both of those programs on
Linux.

-- John