Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: offering a reward

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: offering a reward
From: "Jonathan Hall" <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:23:32 -0600

> What really kind of surprised me is that with the number of you
> in the 'Tech Field have not started your own business... I know
> many small businesses and law offices that could use good on call
> tech support.

I'm a bit curious how you came to this (and other) conclusions you
mentioned.  And that's not to say you're wrong.

I know from my own personal experience, as someone who _has_ tried to start
his own business, that starting a business is very difficult.  And starting
a business right now is even _more_ difficult, due to the poor economy.

If everyone in ACLUG tried to start their own "computer tech" business, we'd
all probably run each other out of business.  Self-employed computer techs
are a dime a dozen these days.  It's very simple for most "small businesses
and law offices" who need on-call tech support to call any of the large
computer places in town (NCR, Best Buy, CompUSA, Business Computer Center,
etc), or their teenaged son, or their nephew, or any other highschool
student. And for most of the computer work small businesses need done, a
junior high education is all that's really needed.  For everything else,
they're usually acustomed to taking their PCs to CompUSA or wherever.

That's not to say those are the BEST solutions for the small businesses...
Just that the small businesses don't necissarily have an urgent need to hire
new techies, or if they do have that need, they may not realize it.  In
either case, it's tough to start that sort of business.  VERY tough.

-- Jonathan