[aclug-L] Service Interruption and Restoration
[Top] [All Lists]
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index] [Thread Index]
[ This message is being sent to various mailing lists and individuals that
use services from the complete.org server. ]
Beginning Thursday, October 16, at approximately 1:30 PM Central time
(UTC-5), the complete.org server became unreliable and was unable to keep
services running for more than a few minutes at a time. Finally, it became
almost completely unusable. I still do not have a clear idea why that
occured, though the hosting provider spoke of a denial of service attack.
The short version is that things are back up, and if they don't look normal
to you yet, they will soon.
The more detailed story:
As the machine had not yet returned to normal service by that evening, I
obtained space on another server. Today, all functions were moved over to
the new server and things are returning to normal. Some things may remain
inaccessible for the next few hours while DNS changes propogate.
Here is the impact this had:
* E-mail: mail was not delivered, but backups were in place. My best
belief is that no mail was lost.
* DNS: All zones for which complete.org is primary have a secondary
nameserver in France. No practical interruption of service should have
* Web: Websites hosted at complete.org were down during the outage and are
now back up.
Exception: lists.complete.org (aka arch.freeciv.org) is not yet
back up, and it will be a day or two before it is.
* Gopher: quux.org was down, and is now back up, except for the mirrors,
which will take up to a week to restore.
* Subversion and Arch repositories: fall under the Web category
-- This is the discussion@xxxxxxxxx list. To unsubscribe,
|[Prev in Thread]
||[Next in Thread]|
- [aclug-L] Service Interruption and Restoration,
John Goerzen <=