Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2003:
[aclug-L] Linux from Kindergarten to High School

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Linux from Kindergarten to High School
From: jeffrey l koehn <caveman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 16:21:26 -0600

From the Linux Journal

Linux in Education Moving the school computer lab to Linux was not
an easy decision to make--but it was a beneficial one.

As the bell rings to begin class at Greater Houlton Christian
Academy, enthusiastic students sit down at their shiny, new
computer workstations. In one corner, the red cabinet housing the
server hums quietly as two stuffed penguins look on fondly from
their perch. Other penguins keep watch from different locations as
the students enter their user names and passwords to access their
accounts. Ask a student who ``Tux'' is, and he or she will point to
the large penguin painted on the front wall of the computer lab and
say, ``He's the Linux penguin!'' About this time KDE has loaded,
and young boys and girls are opening the application they need for
class as easily as kicking a ball.

figure
Figure 1. First graders learning some penguin art fundamentals.

Now for a little history. Greater Houlton Christian Academy (GHCA)
is a private school and nonprofit organization in Maine. As such,
it does not have the same access to funding as the public school
system. As the computer science teacher and system administrator,
this means I have to be creative about providing our students with
computer technology while working with a tight budget. In the past
I relied on area businesses and generous individuals to donate
their used computers. While these donations were a great blessing
to us, they were a temporary solution at best.

Last year it became quite evident that we would need to replace our
old, secondhand computers running Windows 95. The decision to move
from donated computers to new computers was based on many factors,
though our primary goal was to make sure our students had the best
technology available for the enhancement of their educational
experience. Therefore, this would be a software upgrade as well as
a hardware upgrade. In fact, choosing the software was by far the
bigger challenge.

Interestingly enough, it was during this time that many schools in
the western US were being audited by Microsoft concerning the
school's use of Windows and Office software. I began to realize my
ignorance concerning exactly how strict and inflexible the
Microsoft EULA is. It was also during this time that Microsoft's
new licensing initiative, called Software Assurance, was causing
quite a stir in the tech headlines. As my research opened my eyes
to the various limitations to proprietary software, I began to
think that the answer for us might be found in open-source software.

The decision to switch to an open-source platform for our new
computer lab was not an easy one. My experience was with DOS and
various versions of Windows and not with UNIX-compatible operating
systems. I had experimented with Linux a few years earlier but
found it somewhat difficult and incomplete. Because some time had
passed, I decided to give Linux another try. Going with Mandrake's
8.0 distribution, I installed Linux at home to see if it could
replace Windows in a desktop environment. To my amazement, I found
Linux to be much more capable this time around. I was one step
closer to making my decision to switch our computer lab to the
Linux OS.

Other factors went into the final decision to go with open-source
software, not the least of which was cost. By purchasing bare-bones
computer ``kits'', we were able to save considerable money on the
hardware. Part of the savings in purchasing a bare-bones system is
that the computer does not come with an operating system. We knew
by then we would have to spend more money on software than we did
on hardware if we went with Microsoft. Not only would I need to
consider the initial purchase of the operating system and
application software, but I would also need to factor in the costs
of upgrading our software every couple of years. Needless to say,
going with an open-source platform would save us considerable money
now and in the future.

Another key issue was flexibility. As many of you know, it takes
time to install an operating system, customize it for the
particular hardware it runs on and install the desired
applications. Having purchased 20 new, identical computers, it made
sense to completely configure one machine and then clone the hard
drive to the other 19 computers. However, Microsoft's EULA prevents
a user from doing this, even if they have 20 copies of Windows. Not
only would Linux save me considerable time by allowing me to clone
my configured PC, it also gave me great flexibility in the degree
to which I could customize the OS for the hardware. By recompiling
the kernel to take advantage of our specific hardware, I could
fine-tune the OS to run at peak performance. Linux would even save
us money in the cloning process, thanks to the dd command.

A few aspects, however, made the decision to switch to Linux a
difficult one. The smaller software base to choose from and the
lack of mature drivers for our hardware were among the lesser
obstacles. The major obstacle was my own lack of experience with
the Linux OS. In fact, most of the money and time spent in the
software upgrade of our computer lab was for a shelf full of books
I had to purchase and read to really feel confident using and
teaching Linux. It isn't always easy to teach an old dog new
tricks, but I found the experience one of the most challenging and
rewarding experiences of my IT career.

Today our private school of over 170 students has one of the finest
computer labs in Maine. We have 20 computers with Athlon 1600+ XP
processors, 128MB of RAM, 20GB hard drives and all the
accessories--3-D graphics, sound, 17" monitors and 100Mbps Ethernet
networking. Our computers run Mandrake Linux 8.2 with KDE 3.0.2.
What is most amazing is we upgraded our computer lab for under half
the cost of what many neighboring schools paid for inferior
equipment. Most of this savings was the result of switching to
Linux.

Our servers also run Linux. Using NFS, students can access their
accounts from any computer in the lab. Student- and staff-owned
files are backed up on a daily basis, so gone are the days of ``the
computer lost my homework.'' Our proxy server runs Squid to help
speed our wireless internet connection to 20 workstations, and we
use proxy software along with iptables to provide firewall
protection. A nice program called Dansguardian provides filtering
to protect our children from pornography and other inappropriate
content.

Many of you may be asking at this point, ``How do you use Linux in
teaching your students?'' GHCA is a K-12 school, and so we strive
to offer some level of computer training for each grade.
Kindergarten students, for example, can use such programs as Potato
Guy to practice hand-eye coordination and familiarize themselves
with how to use a mouse to manipulate objects on the computer
screen. Elementary and secondary teachers integrate the computer
lab into their curriculum by using the computer for research,
multimedia enhancements or even something simple as coloring
digital pictures.

figure
Figure 2. Potato Guy develops mouse skills.

Starting with grade seven, education in computer science takes a
more formal approach. Seventh graders are taught keyboarding skills
using programs such as KTouch and TuxTyping. Grade-eight students
are taught the basics of programming with the kate editor and
yabasic interpreter. It is during this class that students gain a
better understanding of how computers process instructions.

figure
Figure 3. Students learn touch typing with KTouch.

Computer Fundamentals is a one-credit course that introduces the
ninth-grade student to ``how a computer works'' and ``how to work a
computer''. During the second semester, students learn about the
purpose and use of the operating system and various applications,
such as word processors, spreadsheets and web browsers. Because our
computers run Linux, it is the Linux OS and open-source software
that students learn in this class. Being sensitive to the fact that
Microsoft currently dominates the PC market in corporate America, I
do spend time discussing the similarities and differences between
Linux and Windows.

Tenth- through twelfth-grade students can chose from a variety of
computer electives, including how to upgrade and repair computers,
web site design, advanced programming and even an upcoming course
in robotics. In making the switch to Linux, I easily found all the
tools needed to teach these courses using open-source software. In
many cases, the open-source software we now use is superior to the
proprietary software originally donated to us.

This is our first year with our new computer lab, and I am very
pleased with how it is progressing. One of the most pleasing
experiences I am having as a system administrator of a Linux-based
lab is the actual ease of administration. Once I set something up
in Linux, I rarely need to worry about it again. This was not the
case with Windows. Last year we were constantly suffering from
system crashes, frozen servers, strange bugs and the infamous
``blue screen of death''. Needless to say, it was a frustrating
situation for many students. While Linux is not bug-free, it has
been a far more stable operating system for both our workstations
and servers. Linux also has shown itself to be a much more
versatile operating system to administer in a network environment.
My job is more pleasurable thanks to our switch to Linux.

As a teacher of computer science, I am finding this year a
fascinating test for Linux. Very few of our students, parents or
teachers knew what Linux was before this year. I have actually
found this to be a great advantage in teaching computers. In the
past, I have found students to be disinterested in learning about
the personal computer running Windows, because it is something most
of them grew up with at home. This lack of interest made it more
difficult to teach the more-advanced aspects of the operating
system. However, Linux is something completely new, different and
unexplored. Instead of being intimidated by the change, as many
adults might be, young people are excited to explore the
``uncharted territory''. This opens a door for me as a teacher,
allowing me to educate eager minds in the more-advanced aspects of
computer operating systems and software. In fact, it only took two
weeks until students began to ask me, ``Where can I get Linux?''

People sometimes ask me, ``Is teaching our students Linux preparing
them for the workplace?'' This question is based on the fact that
Microsoft is the current dominating presence in operating systems
and office software. It is a question I have thought over a long
time, and the answer I always come up with is, ``Yes, most
definitely.'' The basic principles of any type of operating system,
office application or other similarly grouped software are the
same. A student who becomes proficient in Linux will not find
themselves lost in a Windows environment. I have found Linux to be
the more advanced of the two operating systems, yet our students
are very quickly and easily learning it. The process of copying a
file or formatting a paragraph is not so different between one
operating system and the other. The important thing is we are able
to offer the latest in hardware and software tools to train our
students in these fundamental principles--something we could not do
if we went w!
 ith proprietary software.

Another question that may be even more important to ask is, ``What
is the future of Linux?'' When our students graduate a few years
from now, will they enter a Microsoft-dominated workplace or will
the tide have changed? Even in our small New England town of
Houlton, Maine, businesses are beginning to look to Linux as an
alternative to proprietary operating systems. These businesses will
need qualified personnel familiar with the Linux operating system
and open-source applications. Greater Houlton Christian Academy
will be graduating young men and women who will be able to meet
that need, a claim not many schools in our nation can currently
make. In fact, some of our students may go on to write the future
applications for Linux, giving back to the community that helped
them during their school years.

For us, switching to open-source software running on the Linux
operating system has been the right choice, allowing us to provide
our students with modern equipment and software for a fraction of
the cost of a computer lab running proprietary software. If Linux
continues to grow in popularity and gain a foothold in the
workplace, we will look back at our choice as one of the most
important decisions we've ever made.

Michael Surran is the system administrator and computer science
teacher at Greater Houlton Christian Academy (www.ghca.com) in
Northern Maine. Michael enjoys church, outdoor adventures, target
shooting, sci-fi, collecting penguins and his wife, Lisa, who also
teaches at GHCA.