Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Quake 3 Arena for Linux $2

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Quake 3 Arena for Linux $2
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 15:14:34 -0500

The redhat update site says that up2date should not be used for
automatic kernel updates. This is the quote:

"Unless you are using up2date version 2.5.4 or higher, do not use
up2date to automatically upgrade kernel packages."

And the firewall is not the issue, It is the one where you allowed the
update to the kernel. I only mentioned tripwire because changes to the
programs would cause it to send alarms on machines where it is running.

Anne McCadden wrote:
> I'm not using the Linux firewall with tripwire right now.  I am using
> the SMC 8-port router/firewall/switching hub with a printserver.  On my
> gaming machine I wanted to have the automatic updates because I thought
> that I would need it.  One the other computers I have tried to register
> the RedHat and it gives me all sorts of errors, from that name &
> password is already used, and others.  Why do they think I have only one
> computer running RedHat when I switched from NT so I wouldn't have to
> pay for a multi-user license?  So one computer gets registered and gets
> updates, the other 4 don't.  I could setup other fake accounts with
> RedHat, but why bother, and I don't know of another way around it.  ~Anne

Why would they allow one registration to handle several machines.?
Although the software is freely available, the update service is not.
You pay for the update service for one machine when you purchase the
software package.

Updates are also free from their site, just not automatically by using
their service unless you have paid for the update service.

> Jeff Vian wrote:
>

>>That is what you get for running the automatic update. :-(
>>Shame on you for not controlling if/when you do the updates. ;-)
>>
>>I NEVER allow anything to make changes on my system unless I explicitly
>>request it.
>>
>>I understand that for the total novice it might be good, but not for one
>>who does customization or wants to know without a doubt how his system
>>is set up.  And if you are running something like tripwire the automatic
>>update will break your config and trip all kinds of alarms.
>>
>>Anne McCadden wrote:
>>

>>>I have seen it running on my nVidia 32mb DDR card.  Jeff had to install
>>>the closed source video and openGL drivers in order for it to work.  It
>>>worked great until RedHat updated my kernal for me.  ~Anne

Jeff Vian
jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx