Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2002:
[aclug-L] gotcha with RedHat 7.3 and Matrox video

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] gotcha with RedHat 7.3 and Matrox video
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 18:34:39 -0500

I recently upgraded a RH 7.2 machine to RH 7.3 and ran into a gotcha.

My system had a Matrox Millenium II video card, and the upgrade went
flawlessly.

The first time I rebooted everything came up and worked with no problem.
I often leave it runnig with Xwindows active as I am running a mail
client and news reader that I leave active since my downloads are not
super fast.

When I came back to it the next morning it was FROZEN, and the only way
I could do anything was to do a hard power off and reboot.

Tried it again, booted, started X, left it running and came back with
the same results.

Then it began giving failures when trying to startx and was unable to
open X up at all.

The ONLY thing I had changed was that I did an upgrade to the OS.

Tried running Xconfigurator with no changes in symptoms. It reported the
  card and monitor correctly, except for the amount of memory on the
card, seemed to do the configuration correctly but would not start X.

I then removed the Matrox card and installed a Voodoo4 4500 card I had
and it now works flawlessly.

It appears that maybe the changes in X between 7.2 and 7.3 broke the
matrox drivers and it would not work with that card at all.