Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2002:
[aclug-L] FW: Recovering from Proc

To: "Aclug Discussion" <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] FW: Recovering from Proc
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 08:37:10 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux_Security@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:Linux_Security@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 12:57 AM

LINUX SECURITY --- May 07, 2002
Published by ITworld.com -- changing the way you view IT
http://www.itworld.com/newsletters

HIGHLIGHTS

* The ability to use files seemingly deleted from the /proc directory
  helps savvy attackers avoid detection and remove incriminating files.

SPONSORED LINK

GET THE ULTIMATE SOURCE OF ANTI-HACKER INFORMATION!

The Hacking Exposed Toolkit - a 4 book/1CD set - shows you how to ward
off hacker attacks, protect critical information and recover from
unavoidable attacks with proven techniques! A $169.96 value, this
bestselling set can be yours for $9.99 with membership in Computer
Books Direct. Join now! Click for details.

http://itw.itworld.com/GoNow/a14724a57707a76028222a0

Recovering from Proc
By Brian Hatch

I was sitting on my laptop looking at a movie [1] of my daughter Reegen
in her hula skirt on our trip to Hawaii this January. She and Allison,
the daughter of one of our friends, were playing "Ring around the
Rosey" and it was terribly cute.

Unfortunately, in a not-rare-enough multitasking mistake, I
accidentally deleted the movie I was watching! I was in the /movies
directory, and wanted to delete mvi_051*.avi and accidentally typed 'rm
mvi_051 *.avi', wiping out all my movies! No! It's not fair! I hadn't
made backups of the file yet and hadn't yet posted it to my Web site. A
beautiful moment lost. What was I to do? [2]

No problem, lsof and /proc to the rescue. I had lsof (List Open Files,
one of the must-haves in your UNIX administration and security
toolboxes) show me the open files for the mplayer [3] process:

    $ lsof -c mplayer | grep avi
    mplayer 10153  bri   10r   REG 3,7 2545962  26708 /movies/hula.avi
    (deleted)

This shows that mplayer (process 10153) has /movies/hula.avi opened on
file descriptor 10. (The rest of the data describe the device it's on,
size of file, etc....) The '(deleted)' at the end signifies that the
file has been deleted from disk. However, Linux files aren't actually
removed from the disk until all open file descriptors are closed and
all hard links to the data are removed. Thus, the file was still there;
I just couldn't get it by looking in the /movies directory because the
hula.avi name had been removed.

However it's still possible to get at the file. All I needed to do was:

    $ cp /proc/10153/fd/10 /tmp/hula_recoved.avi

The /proc filesystem is not an actual directory on disk like /usr
or /home. Instead, /proc is a directory-based view of information the
kernel makes available to you. The programs ps or top, for example,
look in this directory for process ids and program names, and then
presents them in a pretty form. The files and directories in
the /proc/10153 directory refer to the process 10153 (mplayer). A quick
list shows us:

    $ ls -F /proc/10153/fd
    0@  1@  10@  12@  2@  3@  4@  5@  6@  7@  8@  9@

    $ ls -l /proc/10153/fd/10
    lr-x------ 1 bri  hle     Apr 30 10:39 10 -> /tmp/reegen_hula.avi
    (deleted)

The fd (file descriptor) directory has maps to the files open by the
program. So you can see that there are many file descriptors open (0,
1, 2... 10, and 12), /proc tries to show information in the most useful
UNIX-like way. Although it looks like /proc/10153/fd/10 is a symlink to
the file '/tmp/reegen_hula.avi (deleted)', when you try to copy this
file, it will give you the actual bits still on disk because the file
hasn't been permanently removed from the hard drive.

So, what does this have to do with security?

One common trick malicious hackers use is to open a file and
immediately delete it, such that the file is not visible on the machine
to tools like find/locate/etc. This also means that, if the machine is
rebooted, then the file disappears as well. Until the program stops,
the file is still completely usable to itself. It may be a temporary
storage space for lists of machines to compromise, copies of newly
downloaded attack scripts, or captured passwords to be sent back to the
attacker. Using deleted files is an easy method to avoid detection from
most administrators, and automatically removes any incriminating files
in the event an admin figure's something is amiss and kills the process
or reboots the machine.

Next week, I'll show you a few other related /proc and lsof tidbits
that can be useful at preventing people from using this trick against
you. But for now, remember that if you delete something but still have
it open, you have an alternative to misery. In the event that the
deleted item is a cute movie of your daughter, you'll understand the
need.

NOTES
    [1] http://www.hackinglinuxexposed.com/articles/hula.html
    [2] If this drive were an ext filesystem, I may have been able to
        recover all the files using e2undel
        (http://e2undel.sourceforge.net/) or other similar tools.
        Unfortunately I have most of my partitions formatted with
        ReiserFS. Fortunately, the rest of the movies were already
        backed up.
    [3] Mplayer, a great Linux movie player, at
        http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/

SPONSORED LINK

FREE EMBEDDED FIREWALL EVALUATION PACK - SEE WEBCAST FOR DETAILS

Hear about tamper-resistant distributed security solutions for your
network during this informative webcast. Plus, qualified customers can
register to receive a FREE Embedded Firewall Evaluation Pack from
3Com.
http://itw.itworld.com/GoNow/a14724a57707a76028222a1

About the author(s)
-------------------
Brian Hatch is Chief Hacker at Onsight, Inc, and author of Hacking
Linux Exposed and Building Linux VPNs. He really needs to sit down and
post the last 6 months of pictures he's taken. At this rate, his
daughter will be through college before her 2nd birthday pictures reach
the Web. Brian can be reached at brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

ITWORLD.COM NEWSLETTER ARCHIVE

Index of Linux Security
http://itw.itworld.com/GoNow/a14724a57707a76028222a4

Everyone Needs Backup
http://itw.itworld.com/GoNow/a14724a57707a76028222a2

Ready, Set, Patch!
http://itw.itworld.com/GoNow/a14724a57707a76028222a3
- When finished, click submit

Questions? Please e-mail customer service at: mailto:support@xxxxxxxxxxx

CONTACTS

* Editorial: Andrew Santosusso, Newsletter Editor,
  andrew_santosusso@xxxxxxxxxxx
* Advertising: Clare O'Brien, Vice President of Sales,
  clare_obrien@xxxxxxxxxxx
* Career Corner: Janis Crowley, Vice President/General Manager, IDG
  Recruitment Solutions, janis_crowley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
* Other inquiries: Jodie Naze, Senior Product Marketing Manager,
  jodie_naze@xxxxxxxxxxx

PRIVACY POLICY

ITworld.com has been TRUSTe certified
http://www.itworld.com/Privacy/

Copyright 2002 ITworld.com, Inc., All Rights Reserved.
http://www.itworld.com