Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2002:
[aclug-L] FW: Senator "Fritz" wants your bits

To: "Aclug Discussion" <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] FW: Senator "Fritz" wants your bits
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 08:58:13 -0600

Here's something I find a bit disturbing:
(excerpt)

CNET MP3 Insider Newsletter
http://electronics.cnet.com/
04/02/02

Senator "Fritz" wants your bits

When you cover the digital music scene, there's always something
to get upset about--no matter whose side you're on.  If you sympathize with
the labels and the business, you see red when people talk about
file sharing. And if you like to trade music online, you go
ballistic when lawmakers and industry lobbyists declare you a
heartless thief. In the latest MP3 Insider column, I too take an
opportunity to get righteously peeved. There's a bill floating
around Capitol Hill that would make every PC and MP3 player in
the world illegal to sell or transport across state lines. It
seems crazy, but to a music industry desperate to clamp down on
the file trading that it claims will ruin America's biggest export
(entertainment), it seems like a logical next step. Check out my
column--I really let them have it--as well as reviews of some of
the latest pieces of digital audio hardware to pass across my
desk in the last couple of weeks.

Eliot Van Buskirk
CNET MP3 Insider

http://electronics.cnet.com/electronics/0-3219397-8-9508589-1.html