Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2002:
[aclug-L] Linux for TRS-80

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Linux for TRS-80
From: Bruce Alderman <baa@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 07:04:02 -0600 (CST)

I've been trying to get Linux to run on my old TRS-80 Model III
computer, with its Z-80 processor (running at 2 MHz), 48k of memory
(upgraded from the original 16k), dual 5.25" floppy drives (also an
upgrade), and cassette tape backup.

After trying a tiny Linux mini-distribution I downloaded from
www.you'rekidding.net, I decided to go with a slightly more robust
version I found at www.thishastobeajoke,right?.org.  I'm still working
on getting X configured properly.  The TRS-80 has only 128x48 graphics
resolution, and the built-in monitor is monochrome.  Also I'm having
lots of problems getting my daisy-wheel printer to handle Postscript
files.  But it's been a lot of fun trying to get everything to work
together.

If I can find another TRS-80 somewhere, I'd like to try to network them
together.  Maybe I can buy one from an itinerant merchant at the next
Saturday Sale.

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier: it's a tiny distribution, and several
components had to be left out to fit on the TRS-80's 180k floppies.
There's no modem-related software, for example.  This wasn't a problem
until last week, when I found a TRS-80 compatible modem in a local
junkyard.  Why somebody threw out a perfectly good 300 baud modem is
beyond me.  They could have sold it at eBay.  Anyway, I salvaged it,
installed it in my machine, and wrote a crufty dialer program using the
TRS-80's ROM BASIC interpreter (an early Microsoft product, but what
else can I do?)  I've been leaving the machine on 24/7, mainly because
that's how long it takes to download my email.

But now I'm worried someone is going to hack my system, and I haven't
been able to find any good TRS-80 firewall software.  Granted, the
system speed is probably enough of a deterrent to keep me safe.
However, I'd sleep better at night if I was sure my machine was
protected from intruders.

Can anyone help me?

--
Bruce Alderman                                baa@xxxxxxxxxx