Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2002:
[aclug-L] FW: Where to Go for Timely Alerts

To: "Aclug Discussion" <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] FW: Where to Go for Timely Alerts
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 09:48:05 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux_Security@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:Linux_Security@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 12:59 AM

LINUX SECURITY --- March 05, 2002
Published by ITworld.com -- changing the way you view IT
http://www.itworld.com/newsletters
HIGHLIGHTS

* A little knowledge can go a long way, especially when that knowledge
  is about the latest threats to your system. But where does the savvy
  admin go for such information?

SERVICES

* Survey: Share Your Opinion on Newsletters for a Chance to Win $500!

SPONSORED LINK

GET THE ADVANCED PROACTIVE ENTERPRISE SECURITY SOLUTION:

* PREVENTION FOCUSED: Stops Worms, Trojans and more before they ever
get in.
* STRONGEST: 1,300+ vulnerabilities and growing
* MOST EFFECTIVE: Keeps intruders out that traditional solutions miss.
Download our in-depth FREE White Paper for more info. Click here!

http://itw.itworld.com/GoNow/a14724a53819a76028222a0

Where to Go for Timely Alerts
By Brian Hatch

The worst thing that can happen to a security administrator is to be
oblivious to the newest, and thus most pressing, vulnerabilities that
can affect your systems. Without prompt action -- upgrades, patches,
increased access restrictions, or turning off software all together --
you are likely to fall victim to the latest exploits or worms.

So, whom should you turn to for this nay-crucial information? You can
find good Linux security information at a bunch of places, but I trust
very few sources to provide me timely vulnerability announcements.
Most have both Web pages and email lists. Personally, I don't rely on
Web pages because I've never been good at checking things periodically
(and too many of them don't render well in lynx). I prefer email.
It's something I check every few seconds and I can use procmail
to make sure important messages get sent to my pager in case
I'm doing something rare, like sleeping.

So, without further rambling, here are my suggestions for must-read
email lists:

    * CERT:  The granddaddy of alert notification. CERT advisories are
      usually reserved for the big problems, such as the widespread
      SNMP problems, which required careful coordination between multiple
      vendors to avoid 'spilling the beans' too early, or the
      latest 'Become the Windows Administrator user in 2 easy packets'
      bug.

    $ echo 'subscribe cert-advisory' | mail majordomo@xxxxxxxx

    * SANS Security Alert Consensus:  The SANS organization sends out
      alerts similar to CERT, though usually with more useful
      information such as custom tools you can use to audit your
      systems. This newsletter is actually a weekly security summary,
      but they use it for important alerts as well.

    $ lynx http://www.sans.org/sansnews/

    * Incidents:  On this list, admins can submit information about
      suspicious network activity they've captured. When new worms and
      exploits start making the rounds, this is often the first place
      they are seen on the radar. It can get pretty high volume as
      folks try to figure out what they're seeing in the wild.

    $ echo 'SUBS incidents Firstname Lastname' | mail
listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    * Bugtraq:  Bugtraq was the original full disclosure list, and it
      is an absolute essential to any administrator. Vendors and
      hackers alike announce vulnerabilities here. Often no solutions
      are suggested, but folks on the list quickly discuss appropriate

    $ echo 'SUBS bugtraq Firstname Lastname' | mail
listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    * Linux Distro:  Whichever Linux distribution you use likely has an
      email list dedicated to security concerns. Sometimes the problems
      are specific to a particular distribution's configuration whereas
      sometimes they are universal Linux concerns.

      Your distribution-specific list will give you the links you need
      to see exactly what packages you need to upgrade, including the
      download URLs and instructions. Unless you're using Debian, of
      course, in which case you can upgrade everything with a mere 32
      keystrokes.

These are the lists that I use for security alerts. You can subscribe
to many other lists for weekly or monthly news, but for timely security
information, I suggest the above lists so you aren't caught off guard.

SPONSORED LINK

ITWORLD.COM NEWSLETTER SURVEY

To improve the ITworld.com newsletters for our subscribers, we are
conducting a short survey and would like to hear how you view and use
this information. Your contribution is greatly appreciated, and as our
thanks, you can enter a drawing for a $500 American Express gift
certificate at the end of the survey. Please respond now!

http://itw.itworld.com/GoNow/a14724a53819a76028222a1

About the author(s)
-------------------
Brian Hatch is Chief Hacker at Onsight, inc and author of Hacking Linux
Exposed and Building Linux VPNs. He has been securing and breaking into
computers since before he traded in his Apple ][+ for his first Unix
system. Brian can be reached at brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

ITWORLD.COM NEWSLETTER ARCHIVE

Index of Linux Security
http://itw.itworld.com/GoNow/a14724a53819a76028222a7

Attacking Linux, Part 3
http://itw.itworld.com/GoNow/a14724a53819a76028222a5

Analysts: Any Web Site Can be a Hacking Target
http://itw.itworld.com/GoNow/a14724a53819a76028222a6
- When finished, click submit

Questions? Please e-mail customer service at: mailto:support@xxxxxxxxxxx

CONTACTS

* Editorial: Andrew Santosusso, Newsletter Editor,
  andrew_santosusso@xxxxxxxxxxx
* Advertising: Clare O'Brien, Vice President of Sales,
  clare_obrien@xxxxxxxxxxx
* Career Corner: Janis Crowley, Vice President/General Manager, IDG
  Recruitment Solutions, janis_crowley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
* Other inquiries: Jodie Naze, Senior Product Marketing Manager,
  jodie_naze@xxxxxxxxxxx

PRIVACY POLICY

ITworld.com has been TRUSTe certified
http://www.itworld.com/Privacy/

Copyright 2002 ITworld.com, Inc., All Rights Reserved.
http://www.itworld.com