Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: SQL Book

To: Curtis Hawthorne <cghawthorne@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: SQL Book
From: Thomas Wallis <wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:06:16 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Curtis Hawthorne wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at buying a book about SQL and databases and
> was wondering if anyone could recommend any.  I've written
> several Perl programs that work with an SQL database but
> have mostly been learning how to do things as I need to,
> not really knowing why a command does what it does or all
> the details about it.
>
> I would like a book that has a fairly comprehensive
> overview of SQL and good database design practices.  I
> would also like it to be, for the most part, standards
> compliant and not focus on a particular vendor's extensions
> so that my programs will work with most databases.
>
> So far, the best book that I have been able to find is
> Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL
> (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1861005156/qid=1014741720/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-0493938-4166436).
>  Anyone have any comments about this book or
> recommendations for others?

        Dear Curtis:

        I have used PostgreSQL, Introduction and Concepts by Bruce
Momjian.  It had what I needed to know regarding PostgreSQL.  I haven't
yet tried the book you mentioned above.  You might try bookpool.com. They
often have technical books at a better price than amazon.com.

                                Tom W.

> Thanks!
>
> Curtis H.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed here are my own and not those of WSU.

EMAIL address:  wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx