Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: OpenGL, 3D Graphics, & Linux

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: OpenGL, 3D Graphics, & Linux
From: james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 14:20:18 -0600 (CST)

> OK it seems that my trying to get 3D graphics on my P-200mmx box using a
> Voodoo2 graphics card as failed so far.. most likely due to lack of
> knowledge.
>
> So which PCI graphics cards are supports by which Linux distributions to
> load OpenGL and 3D graphic drivers on install??

3dfx Voodoo 3/4/5, banshee (tdfx)
(Personal experence-v3 2000 pci works well (as long as you don't compile a
kernel where the tdfx driver gets overwritten, by the ati diver) Had I left
everything alone, it would have worked fine.)

Matrox cards G200 and G400 series, (basically any 3d matrox card should be
supported, but check)
(No personal experence, but I have a G200, when I get around to putting it in a
machine I will tell every one how it went.)

ATI Radeon, ATI Rage 128
(No clue how well either works)

TNT/TNT2/Geforce (NVIDIA's closed source driver)
(Works fine on rh7.2 boxes, you have to replace the "driver "nv"" with "driver
"nvidia"" or vice versa in XF86Config, but if you go to their website it
explains everything, and has what you need to download. I had to rebild the
kernel rpm stuff (which was very simple), but they have rbinary rpms )

Intel i810 (the onboard chipset)
(Should work, I just avoid onboard stuff like the plague, because if it breaks,
often times it messes other things on the mb up too.

3dfx Voodoo and Voodoo 2
Should work, but it doesn't appear to be working.

That is about all I know about. I at one point Loki (www.lokigames.com) had a
good page about setting up opengl.

James L.