Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Letter to the Eagle

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Letter to the Eagle
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 11:42:35 -0600

Bruce Bales wrote:

> Way to go, Tom Hull.  Your letter in today's Eagle was right on.  Now at
> least a
> few more people will have heard of open source and Linux.
> bruce

Thanks. The Eagle's editorial, and a previous article explaining how
Microsoft's new pricing would cost the state, have been good, but
vague threats about switching to Microsoft's competitors without
mentioning Open Source just sound like idle posturing.

The Eagle's editorial is at:

http://web.wichitaeagle.com/content/wichitaeagle/2001/10/29/editorial/microsoft1029_txt.htm

My letter is at:

http://web.wichitaeagle.com/content/wichitaeagle/2001/10/31/editorial/letterswed1031_txt.htm

As edited (and I like the "Booting Microsoft" head in the paper version),
it is:

  The Eagle's editorial on how Microsoft is using its monopoly to mug the
  state government of Kansas ("Pay up: Microsoft masters the game of
  monopoly," Oct. 29 Our View) urges Kansas to seek out competitors, but it
  doesn't go far enough in identifying the one real alternative: open-source
  software. Millions of people around the world have turned to open-source
  software such as Linux for relief from Microsoft.

  The difference between Microsoft and open-source software is like the
  difference between renting and owning your house. With Microsoft, you
  pay and pay and never build up any equity. And when the furnace breaks
  or termites attack the foundation, your only recourse is to beg the
  landlord for help.

  On the other hand, when you own your own house, you're free to fix it to
  meet your own needs.

  But the deal with open-source software is even better: Your fixes help
  everyone else, and everyone else's fixes help you. Open-source software
  costs less and works better. Isn't that also what we want from government?

    TOM HULL
    Wichita

--
/*