Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: firewall using a dialup connection

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: firewall using a dialup connection
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 18:39:34 -0500

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 06:11:17PM -0500, Michael Holmes wrote:
> I am wanting to take a 486 and use it as a firewall, but I have dial up.  I
> want the firewall to be able to be instructed to dial up and log off with
> the dial up connection.  I have looked at frazierwall.com and it is only
> for cable and phone types, not for dial up.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike.

Not sure which distribution you are using.  Debian has a nice package
called ipmasq (not sure if it's packaged for other distros) that drops a
couple of scripts in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d that reinitialize the firewall
each time PPP is brought up and down.  It works well and integrates well
into the rest of the distro.  I'm sure it could be adapted to other
distros and it is much easier than manually slogging through the
configuration.

HTH,

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "None can love freedom
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | heartily, but good