Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2001:
[aclug-L] Problems with two network cards

To: ACLUG <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Problems with two network cards
From: chalfant jeremy wayne <jwchalfa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 00:39:20 -0600 (CST)

        Man am I ever having a problem.  I just recently tried to bring my small
at-home LAN back online.  Previously I used Red Hat 6.1 and everything
worked fine.  My firewall was an old 486 with about 20megs of RAM with a
NIC and 33.6 modem, worked like a charm.  I recently was able to try to
bring it back online (long story, involved remoldeling a house).
        I installed Red Hat 7.0 via ftp fromt he net onto my celery 333
with my newly purchased cable services and it worked very well.  I also
install 7.0 on my 486 and it worked as well, but I am now trying to get it
configured to work with 2 NIC's and can't get it to work.  The first is a
NEC clone or something of the like, it works fine, but when I bring the
second which is a 3com 509 up via ifconfig it appears to work, although in
trying some service like ping it will send, but not recieve, not a single
rx packet but many tx.  I don't get it, has anybody else ever had this
problem?   the i/o base is 0x300, and the irq is 10, not sure what other
info would help except perhaps that when I used lilo to append the card
info to boot up 2 cards, it fails, but when I added the insmod to the
config scripts, it appears to work, but it still will not recieve a single
packet.  Man I haven't a clue??????????????????????/