Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: debian, ppp, and ipmasq

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: debian, ppp, and ipmasq
From: Jeff Vian <jvian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 13:39:30 -0600

to use ip masquerading (NAT) you must do some configurations with ipchains
to set up the rules by which it works.

I assume you are using a private IP network at home and that you are using
the NAT to allow the local hosts access to the internet via masquerading.

I have 2 NICs, one connects to the internet and the other to my local LAN.
in the ipchains rules I have done 2 lines to enable it to work flawlessly.

ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 192.168.2.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0

This will work in any dynamically or statically assigned address scheme
because of the default routing.
for more information read up on ipchains, masquerading, and firewalls.