Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: How can I make my own Tivo

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: How can I make my own Tivo
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 16:15:23 -0500

Re: wireless keyboards, the IBM PCjr's had wireless keyboards--I had two or
three at one point.

If the WebTV keyboard won't work, those might be easier to get to work with
a PC...

I know you can also buy wireless keyboards... dunno what they cost, tho.

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 03:14:18PM -0500, james l wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> > My 5 year old VCR is failing on me and I need to get something to
> > replace it.
> >
> > I'm torn between a new VCR or a Tivo. A VCR is cheaper, but the Tivo is
> > cooler, and adds a lot of features I'd like, but it also has some
> > annoying features (not allowing you to skip commercials, not network
> > connection) and then I thought what about making my own.
> >
> > I was thinking of a machine with a MPEG Encoder/Decoder Card and I'd add
> > my DVD drive and Encoder card (Creative dxr2 which has some experimental
> > drivers). Then I'd need a video card with TV-out, and an IR reciever and
> > remote.
> >

> I have heard good things about the ATI All in wonder cards, for TV out, and
> the Voodoo 3s with video out (AGP only  I think) are supported. I don't know
> how well they work on either.
>
> On IR, I don't know, and is one thing I would like to do is get a WebTV
> keyboard working under Linux. (I have 2 that I got to mess with, If you want
> one I could sell one to you for say $2)
>
> > Then I'd have to write my own software to control it.
> >

> If you could get something like the web tv keyboard working, then it would be
> relitively easy to do. Otherwise you would have to get into the infrared
> controller and write a program.
>
> > I tried to find some information about MPEG cards that work under linux,
> > but didn't find much.
> >

> I would check on linux.com 's hardware section, which has some things about
> diferent cards, and hardware. I have found it to be helpful in the past.
>
> I hate it when something fails. (and my VCR that I use with my computer isn't
> working now.) I will try to help if I can, and you decide to try to do it.
>
> Hope this helps,
> James L
>
> > What do people know about these parts and such, Would it be feasible?
> >

> > --
> > Clint Brubakken
> > Developer, Computer Science Services Group, LLC
> > President Air Capital Linux Users Group
> > Wichita, KS
> > cabrubak@xxxxxxx
> > ---
> > "So here's a picture of reality: (picture of circle with lots of
> > sqiggles in
> > it) As we all know, reality is a mess."
> >
> >   -- Larry Wall (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)

> > visit http://tmp2.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi

Useless fact #8: Wyoming has the highest number of electoral votes per
capita in the U.S. with one electoral vote for every 160,014 people,
compared to the national average of 497,664 people per electoral.