Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: LI problem...

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: LI problem...
From: Jeff Schaller <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:22:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Maverick Ieong wrote:

>   I try to to install Redhat 6.2 on a 20G IDE drive:
>
>   Here is the partitions:
>   hda1    4G (Primiary) Win32-FAT
>          16G (Extended)
>   inside 16G it gots
>         Rest (logical) linux native  /
>
>   The redhat linux complete install, we put the lilo
> on the 4G MBR, and try to bootup and it stops on "LI".

You ran into this because ...

> Luckly I created a boot disk at the end of
> installation. So I can boot up using floppy and got to
> linux. And just re-run the /sbin/lilo, and it
> generates
>
> >...execeed 1024 cyclinder

... of this.  Lilo needs to find the kernel in the
first 1024 cylinders.  Stick with the boot floppy
you have, unless you want to repartition & reinstall.

-jeff
--
Homer: Lisa, the mob is working on getting your saxophone back.  But we've
  also expanded into other important areas. Literacy programs, preserving