Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Window Managers

To: "'discussion@xxxxxxxxx'" <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Window Managers
From: "Bates, Rod" <Rod.Bates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 10:12:53 -0500

> Now my question; Is there ant reason that a window manager couldn't be
> written in Java?
> and if not why?

Sun's original primary design purpose for Java was for
downloadable applets embedded in web pages.  That
meant that the interpreter/environment for the language
could be made so airtight that you could download and run
a program from a site that you had no reason to trust, and feel
confident that it wasn't going to somehow crack your
machine.  (It also meant 100% portable code was
required.)

I would think the restrictions designed to make Java safe
for running  untrusted programs would be too onerous for
a window manager. However, people have apparently found
Java to be a sufficiently better designed programming language,
compared to C/C++, that it's being considered/used
with much wider scope than originally intended.
Java implementations may evolve toward relaxing some
of the safetly restrictions, which might make it feasible.