Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: script to kill

To: "'discussion@xxxxxxxxx'" <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: script to kill
From: "Wilner, Alden" <alden.wilner@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:24:28 -0600

Y'know, I just remembered this little Korn shell script I've got here...

You type something like "pskill dd" and it'll kill all process that include
"dd" anywhere in the ps list, except
the one that you launched the command from ($$).

Unfortunately for you I'm too lazy to translate this into bash, but I think
it's about as simpe as removing some minus signs.

Anyhow, the answer to your question is: stay away from the "$$" process.
It's you.

Thanks to Jon Beadles for writing this several centuries ago (in dog years).

- Alden Wilner
Just Imagine: A window sticker of a little boy peeing on a confederate flag.

set -x

text=$1

ps -ef | egrep "$text" | grep -v grep |
while read line