Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Removing LILO...How do I do it?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Removing LILO...How do I do it?
From: Brian Chapman <tchapman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 13:43:53 -0600

Michael Holmes wrote:

> you have to put something back.  If you just do  a /mbr, there is nothing to
> tell the computer where to boot!  It just cleans off the master boot record
> blank and there is nothing to boot the computer.

Well, in the documentation that I used to have, it stated that doing an
`fdisk /mbr` would simply reset the MBR with just the info DOS/Windows
needed to boot. I've used that command a few times in the past (to get
rid of LILO) without any problems. The documentation did warn, however,
that there is always a chance for something to go wrong and strongly
advised backing up any important data before issuing that command.

I never really worried about it though, and I even issued the commands
in a DOS shell under Win95. Heh, if that's not living dangerously, I
don't know what is!