Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: AUI -> TP converter

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: AUI -> TP converter
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 14:50:56 -0600

They're at 37th and Web.  Simplest way to get there IMHO, is to take HW 96
east to Rock.  Take Rock north to the 37th Street intersection (a 4-way
stop), then turn right (east).  The last drive on your left (north) before
you get to Web is where you need to turn.  Then go to the far east end of
the parking lot there in front of the building.  Trailing Edge is the
east-most door.

For motherboards, pricewatch is the best, IMO (unless you want a real old
motherboard--486 or older).  For power supplies... might try Command
Computer.  It depends a lot on what you want.

CCS often has the best prices, but also has the "junkiest" stuff and the
worst selection.  NCR has the best selection, but very high prices.
Trailing edge is a sort of the best of both worlds.  They're much better
organized than CCS, and have nicer stuff.  They have the best prices on old
HDs... :-)

On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 02:34:26PM -0600, Tom Hull wrote:
> Uh, where in Wichita is Trailing Edge? (They're not in any Yellow Pages that
> I could find.) Is this same as/related to www.trailingedge.com?
>
> More generally, when I need to buy something like a cabinet or power supply
> or motherboard, where's a good place to go?
>
> Jonathan Hall wrote:
> >
> > Someone I think was asking about a BNC (10base2 coax) to TP (10baseT twisted
> > pair) converter for a laptop to plug into a school or work network.  John
> > Reinke, maybe?
> >
> > They have some at Trailing Edge in Wichita for $9.99/each.  They had about
> > 15 or 20 of them, I think.
> >
> > If someone who's no longer in Wichita needs some, I'll be able to pick one
> > up and mail it to you for the cost of the item plus shipping costs.
> >
> > --
> > Ethernet (n): something used to catch the Etherbunny.
> > --
>
> --
> /*
>  *  Tom Hull * thull@xxxxxxxxxxx * http://www.ocston.org/~thull/
>  */

Floppy disk tip #2: Diskettes should be cleaned and waxed once a week.
Microscopic metal particles may be removed by waving a powerful magnet over
the surface of the disk.  Any stubborn metal shavings can be removed with
scouring powder and steel wool.  When waxing a diskette, make sure the
surface is even.  This will allow the diskette to spin faster, resulting in
better access time.