Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2000:
[aclug-L] GNU utilities for Win32

To: Aclug discussion <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] GNU utilities for Win32
From: Ryan Claycamp <claycamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 16:37:29 -0600

Last night I heard some people lamenting using the dos shell under
Windows and typing Unix commands, only to receive an error.  I
downloaded this file about a week ago, after hearing about it in
Lockergnome.  Here is his blurb:

GNU utilities for Win32 [2.1M] W9x/NT FREE

http://www.edv.agrar.tu-muenchen.de/~syring/win32/UnxUtils.zip
http://www.edv.agrar.tu-muenchen.de/~syring/win32/UnxUtils.html

This distribution comes with: ansi2knr, basename, bison, bzip2, bunzip2,
bzip2recover, cat, chgrp, chmod, chown, cksum, cmp, comm, compress, cp,
csplit, cut, date, dd, df, diff, diff3, dirname, du, echo, egrep, env,
expand, expr, factor, fgrep, find, flex, fmt, fold, gawk, gnumake, grep,
gsar, gunzip, gzip, head, id, install, join, less, ln, logname, ls, m4,
md5sum, mkdir, mkfifo, mknod, mv, mvdir, nl, od, paste, patch, pathchk,
pr, printenv, printf, ptx, recode, rm, rman, rmdir, sdiff, sed, seq,
sleep, sort, sh, shar, split, su, sum, sync, tac, tail, tar, tee, test,
touch, tr, uname, unexpand, uniq, unshar, uudecode, uuencode, wc, wget,
which, whoami, xargs, xxd, and yes.

I haven't tried everything, but after putting c:\usr\local\bin in my
path, typing 'ls' and seeing a directory listing is refreshing.  It
might make those unavoidable Windows sessions a little more endurable.

Ryan
--
Visit the Guernsey Aviation web page - http://www.guernseyaviation.com/